DEADLINE: February 22, 2016
The immediacy and intimacy offered by smart phone technology is an intriguing way to explore how we record ourselves and each other. Presented in partnership with the 2016 Inside Out Toronto LGBT Film Festival, IN YOUR POCKET is a curated video program inviting artists to explore these recording technologies in their own personal ways.
For the 5th edition of IN YOUR POCKET: Dear Diary, the RT Collective invites artists to examine the unique ways LGBTQ people can use accessible video technologies to record personal narratives and feelings.
The diary has historically served as private confessional space, suggestive of the relationship between penitent and priest. In the 20th century, there was a shift toward diaries being a space for conscious self-exploration as evidenced in the works of Carl Jung, Aleister Crowley, and Anaïs Nin. In the 1980’s there was another shift toward creation with the intention of an audience during the AIDS crisis, which saw diaries (in written and newly-emergent video form) record the struggles, fears, and anxieties of people living through the epidemic, providing a critical archive of this historical moment.
Our contemporary reality of highly public lives performed for cameras on Youtube, blogs, Facebook, and reality TV, has further shifted diaristic practices away from private confessional towards declarations intended to be widely shared. Dear Diary invites artists to explore these questions though the intimate technology of the smart phone.
Artists are invited to submit proposals for new works on the theme Dear Diary. Selected projects will receive a combined budget/screening fee of $200 and be screened in partnership with 2016 Inside Out Toronto LGBT Film Festival at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre.
- Artists must be based in Canada. For collaborations at least one artist must be based in Canada.
- Works must be recorded on a smart phone, iPad, or webcam (editing can happen on a computer)
- Completed works should be 4 minutes or less
- Works should address the theme Dear Diary from an LGBTQ perspective
- Proposals must be submitted via email using the attached form.
- Proposals submitted without the form or with incomplete information will be deemed ineligible.
- Proposals must include a link to one previously created video work. The jury will watch a maximum of 4 minutes.
- First time video makers are welcome. In the event you have never made a video, include a link to some other artistic project you have previously created.
- Proposals received after the deadline will not be excepted.
- Selected artists will be notified in March 2016.
- Completed proposals must be received by February 22, 2016.
The submission form is available here
Email questions and submission to: info [at] rtcollective [dot] ca